Sunday may 3rd
The time came and we were off to the airport-many hugs & kisses & best wishes and sweet good-byes. An eagle swept by the window at the Gate. Many hours later after a short stop in Hong Kong my arrival in Bangladesh at midnight was forms, immigration, address, swine flu?, then stamps and off to get my bag and then meeting Musa and Bimala who make me feel very welcome. A short drive through the night to the guest house and to my room & shared apartment. It rained before I arrived today for the first time after a long hot spell – I am lucky. The air smells so warm and humid and tropical.
In the morning Bimala and I walked to the university passing all kinds of construction, and bicycles everywhere. Later we went shopping for a new panjabee (shirt) – most are too small for me so we checked out the men’s as well. The rickshaw rides are carnival like – colourful, intense & dangerous, Bimala says your first words should be “aste aste” (slowdown!).
In the afternoon another big storm – wind, lightening and rain – people and cattle running for cover, roads filling up with water. I stood on my porch and watched the show unfold and felt the lovely cool rain.
It's a kind of magic, your transition from YVR to the streets of Dhaka. Looking forward to seeing the bright colours continue to unfold as you become immersed in the place. xxx j
ReplyDeleteI am still amazed at how quickly (despite a long flight)we can be transported to another world and way of being. The first impressions of new sights, smells, sounds and feelings are so precious. Thanks for sharing them with us. I look forward to your updates! Hugs, Chris xx(and from KP too!)
ReplyDelete